Sunday 10 July 2011

...and the Sky was made of Amethyst

(paintings by Francis Bacon along with some photos of his studio-by ogden?-, 90s Comme Des Garcons photo from Italian Vogue, random shiny room photo and VIOLET which rules.)

I'm really feeling Francis Bacon right now; for me his work deals with composed and constricted conflictions over guilt and fear which is kind of where I am right now. I think that his message is best conveyed with his series of paintings known to the general art community as the 'screaming popes' because the figurehead of the catholic faith stands as basically the world leader in bigoted superstition and hatred; despite (supposedly) only wanting to be a positive influence. So I think he's conveying this internal confliction over naive 'good intentions' and evil ulterior motivation.


Basically he's illustrating these popes as naive characters whom, in their candid blindness to the truth have become the evil that they beheld and sought to erradicate - they've become villains in their misdirection and 'incidental' malintent.


It's not so much of a direct attack on Catholicism as many people believe, in my interpretation, so much as it is a personification of the 'bad guy' in detest of his own status; and all he's done.


HELLA deep.

2 comments:

  1. I had never seen Bacon's artwork, but from these examples, I think it's quite interesting! I really liked the ideas behind these images... so beautiful and intriguing.

    I liked this post, everything about it seems messy, yet passionate. It's very nice!

    ~ Orphin's Domains ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice art, thank you for explaining the story behind them.

    neonrosefashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete