Tuesday 1 March 2011

Future Beauty

(Jenny Postle's Grad Collection from Central St Martins FAVOURITE COLLECTION OF LFW)
Whenever things are looking bleak I tend to surround myself with whimsy; I guess that means I'm a whimsical person. Lately things - quite important things, to me anyways - have been looking less and less hopeful. I don't want this blog to turn into a jar where I keep all my self-afflicting thoughts but at the moment I'm having more of these kind of thoughts than anything else. 


[No 'Don't worry! It'll all work out fine!' messages please. I get my naive 'eternally-hopeful' fix from Lady Gaga lyrics, thankyouverymuch.]

That doesn't mean you should think of me as some sort of self-absorbed 'woe-is-me' child; I don't feel like that at all. I'm just pissed off right now. I think my taste always reflects the opposite of how I feel so this post shall be full of brightly-coloured happy frippery; But don't worry the next post will be all choc-a with grungy angst-y curio.


How could I not have written a few words on #Bornthisway? Well, I plain and simply loved it, it was pretty and looked like what would've happened if Andy Warhol had a child with Dorothea Tanning and then their child took the place of Sig-Weave in Ridley's 'Alien'. I had to watch it a few times but I think I finally understand it... Except I didn't get that that thing on her chin was an eye until the third or fourth time of seeing it... I was convinced it was a cap from a water bottle....
I'm really feeling Petra Storrs today. Queen of intellectual whimsy, hang on. That sounds like I think of her as an architect of clever-for-its-own-sake fashion-masturbation; Which is NOT the case. I love these examples of her work mainly because I WANNA TOUCH IT. It's just so cute and light (whimsy) that it lifts my mood to the point where I might just add a little smiley face into this post... shall I? a little emoticon to brighten up my day?.....
..... :) THERE. I did it. Thats how happy her work makes me, I'm a smiley-face happy-chappy! I think why I like her so much could be relative to my special affection for 'paper designers.' Not all her work is paper but a lot of it is and I think her take on it is so FRESH! I mean, as much as I love Su Blackwell I've seen enough damn 'Alice In Wonderland'-esque pieces to last a few editorial seasons...

So that is all from this Blog-child; I'm sure my neuroses will sort themselves out soon enough and flare up about something totally different Quick. As. A. Bee. so don't you worry! 'til then... FLY MY PRETTIES, FLY!

2 comments:

  1. I love all this whimsy! Especially the flowers and bright colors in the first few picks. (The Jenny Postle collection is SO.COOL.) My mood right now is gravitating towards pretty colors and things for spring because I'm so glad February is finally gone and Spring is sort of on it's way. Well, err, you asked for no "It'll be fine" messages, but ermm, I DO hope things get better. Huh, I never realized either that the thing on Gaga's chin was an eye. Pretty creative, and it was cool how she arrived in an egg at the Grammys! One crazy lady. But good crazy. http://thearcenciel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so wowed by their costumes. Really an art, i congratulate you with this great post!

    ReplyDelete