Friday 18 February 2011

At NYFW no-one can hear you scream...



I am OB-fudging-SESSED with Ridley Scott's 'Alien.' I believe I have devoted a fair few Tweets to declaring my undying love for Sig-Weaver's 'Ripley' portrayal. She truly is my greatest style icon, whether it's her custom Reebok's from the second film or her jumpsuit from the first, to me she represents true grace in utilitarian androgyny. and that's just wardrobe. In my mind no-one else could portray a character like her with the same consistency as she did. Sigourney rocks my world.


Of course you could draw parallels between any 'Grungy' collection and films like 'Alien' but at Jeremy Laing's Fall '11 show a few days ago I detected a MEGA 'Ripley' vibe.


Grunge chic's been a 'thing' since Marc Jacobs in the nineties, but Laing's latest collection translates the darkness of the mood into the glamorous silhouettes of the season full length organza instead of . It's these collections that I find are the most inspiring, because all it would take to replicate some of these looks at home would be the ability to sew organza into a long skirt and chop up the hem, I just love these looks. NYFW always comes up with a handful of designers who don't really care about 'trends' so much as whatever inspires them, when I go to London on Weds/Thurs for fashion week I pray I see something like this.


Final few words on the subject of the 'Alien' franchise (for now) :
For me, Ripley's story ends with 'Aliens' (the second film.) The following two films were made purely for the sake of squeezing the last drops of cash out of the franchise; they were disrespectful to both Ridley Scott and James Cameron's visions. If you have not yet seen any of the films from the series I recommend that you see only the first two films; ignore the others, they will only disappoint. Rant over.

No comments:

Post a Comment