Sunday 13 February 2011

The Talented Mr Wu - 'Boy-Clothes'

Jason Wu - F/W 2011

Have I told you about how much I like, no, love androgyny? In Fashion, few things are as difficult as to be truly androgynous. I actually managed to force my best friend into my shirt and one of my biker jackets for a photoshoot the other day, but other than that 'I'm not going to wear boy-clothes.' What is it about androgyny that scares women away? is it the fear of looking like a lesbian? perhaps, men shy away from wearing skinny jeans for fear of 'lookin' like a fruit' but shouldn't it be different for girls?

Last year I ended up at this University bash in London, it was boring and I was too nervous to talk to anyone from St Martins; anyway, as I was going in there was this girl was outside smoking like Uma in Pulp Fiction, contentedly secluded from everything around her. She had this perfect, long, brownish, wavy, 'Freja' hair, curly with bangs [fringe] that were perfectly curled and landed just above her eyes. She hadn't even a touch of makeup on her face but she had flawless pale skin and long eyelashes. That was what I noticed of her first. When I took a second glance she was wearing a mustard-seed wool, double breasted, men's summer coat over a blue dress shirt, buttoned to the top. She had these camel trousers on that could've been saville row, they were a perfect 'peg' sitting exactly on her hip, like a pair of jeans. They stopped precisely above her ankle with a superfine Turn up. No socks, just brown brogues with none of the 'punched leather' embellishment.Her arms poked out of her coat, sitting on her shoulders, sleeves rolled up like a railway-worker from the wild west and she'd folded her arms with her cigarette pointed away.

Never before had I seen a woman pull that off. But every time I look at my girl-friends I think 'Why won't they try it? why won't they even consider that?'
Because they never saw her.

2 comments:

  1. i enjoyed picturing the girl in my mind. wish i could go to a party like that

    ReplyDelete
  2. god, thaat woman sounds like my future wife!

    ReplyDelete