Tuesday 8 February 2011

They Gather no moss

Lately I've garnered a secret guilty pleasure... it's so secret that nobody but you and my credit card knows about it... Every night when everyone's asleep and I'm all alone I mute the sound on my laptop and... Order vintage designer clothes on Ebay. I know! I know it's dirty and the bible says I shouldn't but it just feels so good, forbidden...
Comme Des Garcons is always worth having a look at and on Ebay it's like my 'favourite' search or something and it always turns up some well-bad shizz (read 'amazing clothes.') such as the jacket bottom-centre-left which I am now fiercely fending off enemy bids for. I LOVE this collection, it's so unlike Rei K. to do a collection with such a direct reference to pop culture. I cannot wait for this piece to arrive, I truly have an addiction (or a fixation at least.)
Andy Warhol's covers for the stones are, no doubt, some of the best album covers of all time and I adore the way that Rei's interpreted his work, polka dots, metallics, checks... I love how some of the looks resemble 80s Record Company people and producers with plain beige wool blazers and kooky T-shirts.
Give Rei a mainstream source of inspiration and she will always turn it into the most 'out-there' concept of the season; and not only will it be the edgiest collection in paris. It'll actually have a point. something so many other 'edgy' designers lack in their collections. Edgy simply for the sake of edgy has no chic value, but when a designer has the refinement to take 'Pop Art' and make it, well... this. That really means something.

You know? maybe I've been a bit rash with the whole, 'no colours thing' maybe I need a new rule... 'No colours unless it's CDG.'

2 comments:

  1. I love Ebay! If I had a credit card (or if my parents decided to NOT look at their monthly bill) my fetish would turn into an ebay-clothes-buying addiction. CDG is the best, I like how you turned Rei K.'s name into a rhyme :) http://thearcenciel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the models in the rolling stones inspired looks.. they're so neat. You've got got a nice blog here.

    ReplyDelete